The 2nd Annual
Debbie Pedrazzi Memorial Cutting will take place during the Thursday, July 21st performance on the track that surrounds the rodeo arena. The event honors
the memory of Debbie Pedrazzi, California Rodeo Past President Dave Pedrazzi’s late
wife, who was a world champion and participated in cutting events across the
In the cutting event, a rider enters a herd of cattle, separates one animal out of the herd and gently guides it to the center of the arena or pen, then attempts to prevent it from returning to the herd. The agility and skill from the horse and rider is an example of remarkable athleticism. This flashy and fast event highlighting skilled riders and their talented equine partners is sure bring excitement to the performance and educate the audience about western practices that originated from ranch work.
California Rodeo cutting event will feature top riders and horses who will
qualify by participating at two events leading up to the California Rodeo.
Qualifying shows include two Gabilan Cutters events held locally at Bolado Park in Tres Pinos on May 7th and at Thorson's Arena in San Martin on June 25th.
More information about the qualifying events:
- Each special qualifier leg class will be jackpot style and will have $500 added money, for a total of $1,000 added between the two shows. Entries will be $245 per special qualifier class.
- All participants of the special qualifier class must be current GCI members. (memberships purchased during these 2 qualifier events will count towards the following GCI show season for 2022-23)
- All Riders must be Non-Pro only. No Youth or Open riders will be invited to participate.
- After tallying both leg qualifier money earners, the Top 5 money earners will be invited to participate in the California Rodeo Salinas Performance Cutting.
- Qualified horse and rider must remain the same throughout. If horse or rider are not available, the next qualified money earner will be invited to participate.
- California Rodeo Salinas Performance Cutting Entry Fee will be $350, with more information to be shared directly with the top 5 qualifiers.
- Contestants will ride for a slot at the California Rodeo Salinas Cutting. The Grand Prize Rodeo Cutting winner will receive a California Salinas Rodeo Buckle and prize money ($5250 total added) will be awarded to all participants. All riders will maintain their position going into the final event.